Just Because

Saturday, December 28, 2013

Traditions

So, it's 3 days post Christmas, and I'm home with the crud, so I thought I'd blog again! Lucky for you, right?

At a Women's program at church recently we were talking about Christmas traditions, ones we had as children, ones we have as adults, and some we'd like to start.  I've thought about traditions a lot over the past few weeks.

I think tradition can be good and bad.  I don't think we should always do things the way they've always been done, just because that's the way they've always been done.  I do love the comfort and familiarity in some traditions, though.  Obviously the holiday season brings many traditions - here are a few of my favorites...

I know it's way before Christmas, but I love Black Friday shopping.  My friend Kim and I have gone for the last several years.  I usually don't get all my shopping done that day, but I love to get out in the hustle and bustle of it all.  This is that haul from this year - there were three of us, so it's not as bad as it looks.
 Christmas Eve is always special.  It wasn't until High School that I went to church on Christmas Eve, but it is one of my favorite traditions now.  I love the music, the worship, and especially the candles at the end.
After church we go to the Morel's to party it  up - also a favorite tradition!!  
Miss Alana is always ready to strike a pose.
 Granny Janice (Mom) loving on Zeke. (She LOVES to be called Granny Janice, everyone should do it!)
 Since I've lived in my condo Mom has come over Christmas morning for breakfast and to exchange gifts.  Here she is modeling some huge earrings I got her this year - as a joke.
The rest of Christmas day is going to Mema's and then usually to my Dad's side of the family.  I love spending the day with all of my family in one day!

One tradition I have started in the last couple of years is buying an ornament in memory of Thomas and Clinton for my tree each year. 

A tradition I would like to start is some kind gathering for "my kiddos". Maybe a Christmas movie night, or making something...I don't know.

What are some traditions you love? What are some you'd like to start?

No comments: