Just Because

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Truth

In a devotion book my mom gave me for Christmas the title of today's reading is "Do Over".  They talk about not making a long list of resolutions, but looking at where in your life you need a "do over", and what area(s) might need repair. How great that we serve a God that will take us back again and again - He gives us a "do over" everyday if we ask for it.

For the past couple of years I have chosen one word to focus on for the year. Last year my word was "Be". I had a plan to focus on one area (money, healthy eating, housework, etc.) each month - Be Healthy, Be Clean, Be Creative, and so on.  Did I complete all of those? No. But I did the first 2 or 3, so that's something!!

My word for this year is TRUTH.
This is why: I have been in a bit of a mental and spiritual funk lately. A little down, a little reserved, a little disconnected. I think most of us have those times. I am so thankful for friends and family members who are concerned with my well-being and honest enough to check in on me during these times and tell me some things I need to hear. In one of these conversations with Janna a few weeks ago she talked about an exercise that Alana did in one of her pre-surgery counseling sessions - they were talking about anxiety and how anxiety is lies, and  to combat that we should think about what the TRUTH is.  When Janna told me about this, I immediately thought, "I SHOULD DO THAT!!"...because lets face it, most of the reason I get into a funk is that I start living in the lies that go through my head. I know that is satan getting to me and dragging me down.

Soon after that revelation I began (again) reading the book "Made to Crave" by Lysa TerKeurst.  As someone who has struggled with my weight for as long as I can remember, this book speaks to my soul.  One of the things that she talks about is TRUTH. And the importance of learning to ignore the lies the enemy shoots at us on a daily basis.  

Coincidence? I think not! I love that God gives me the words I need to hear when I need to hear them. He's good that way. Isaiah 43:18-19 says "But forget all that - it is nothing compared to what I am going to do. For I am about to do something new. See, I have already begun! Do you not see it? I will make a pathway through the wilderness. I will create rivers in the dry wasteland."  See? He's already started!

I need a "do over" in a few areas, and most of that involves looking at lies I have been believing and trusting the TRUTH that God gives me. So 2014 will be a year of TRUTH for me. I choose not focus on the lies, but on the TRUTH.  
John 8:32 says "And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." 
I'M READY!

No comments: